lyef & thymes

Monday, January 17, 2005

A time to cook, a time to clean

Before a meal can be enjoyed, there are a number of necessary steps that must occur.
The most important of these is that food must be made available. Not only must it be made available, but it must be made availiable in a palatable form, which some of you may say stands to reason, if the stuff should be first considered food. The real joy for me comes in this stage. It's great to serve food to your friends, and have them enjoy it, and a good time is had by all. This is a nice sensation, but the precursor, the preparation is the best in my mind. I love to cut the what's-it, and season the other-thingy, and cook it all up, knowing that soon you will see that look on their faces as you present your culinary concoction that says "oh my, he really knows his way around a kitchen. Look at this stuff! What is this?" And then they bite in and all is calm and quiet for a moment. The cooking of the food, the preparation is just as good as the reaction, even a little better, I say. I love it. But what I find interesting is how, as a man who despises tidying up a mess, I can stomach it on those days when I have hosted a meal. The whole thing is so nice that even cleaning up afterwards takes on a small sense of joy all it's own. I can roll up my sleeves and wash the dishes, if I have just thoroughly enjoyed my meal. What I wonder about is how this principle avoids other areas of my life. In Music it is definately there. After a rockin' set, I don't mind tidying up the stage a bit. After bombing out, and sucking for half an hour, I want to take my bass and get the hell out of there. This seems to be the same princple. But there are some occassions when I wish I could be more enthusiastic about the drudgery. Cleaning my room: a boring chore, no matter how well I slept. Shovelling the snow: a nuisance no matter how much I enjoyed driving my car that day. Some things that are entirely necessary never seem enjoyable to me. I suspect that there is some way of seeing things that makes sense of this, and anyone who can make an honest suggestion is welcome to do so.
And if anyone wants to come over for a meal, I will happily cook for you.

5 Comments:

At 5:59 p.m., Blogger Andrew G said...

i'm coming dude

 
At 9:29 p.m., Blogger Jon L said...

I bring the beer... How long of a drive is it from the airport? 1... 2 beers....

I'll bring a couple 24's that should last a few hours!

 
At 2:33 p.m., Blogger beth said...

I'll bring dessert!
bethany

 
At 7:00 p.m., Blogger mark said...

Dude. That was a sweet blog - so true, especially the bit about clearing up after a gig. Having said that, no matter how much I've enjoyed playing a set, it'd always be a welcome addition to the Salvator Darlings to have a team of roadies that let me go drink beer backstage while they lift all the heavy stuff, coil up the cables and clear up the crap I left littered around the stage...
As for the food, it's a bit of a trek from here to your place, so what do you say you cook for me at mine when you visit in the summer?

 
At 8:49 p.m., Blogger Sgt Steve said...

Hey man, I want food to! I don't know what to bring if Jon is already bringing the beer. hmmmm. Ah whatever, I'll bring more beer.

That point you made is very true. It doesn't matter how good I've slept, I still don't want to get up when that dang alarm goes off. I think alarm clocks are from after the fall. yip, definitly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home