lyef & thymes

Friday, July 22, 2005

So there's this girl...

who I used to know, whose name we shall designate as Kate, although that is not her name. I ran into Kate at a soccer game two weeks ago, and with some excitement, I might add. She was also excited at having re-encountered an old friend, and suggested coffee. I am never one to refuse a cup of coffee, so we exchanged numbers.

Later that week we set up a time and a place for coffe, but she called and had to cancel. She called back a few days later and we set up another time, which worked out and we met up.

Conversation flowed freely, ideas were shared, and we even discussed some theological issues that we both had been thinking about. I am an intellectually inclined person. I love ideas, and thoughts, and connections, and theories, so this was an amazing talk in my opinion.

After about two hours she looks me square in the eyes and says "Jacob I think it's important to make it clear that I just want friendship from you. I have a boyfriend and I am committed in my relationship with him. I think there's a possibility for a great friendship between you and I, but I don't want to be pursued."

I was pretty stunned by the shift in conversation, but I also found it really interesting. I immediately went into congecture overdrive, wondering at a million thoughts a minute exactly what caused her to bring that up.

"Kate," says I. "I know I am irresistable to women and that you may very well be in love with me by this point in the evening, but I want to know something. If you think that a relationship between the two of us is likely, but want to remain with your boyfriend, then what are you doing here? Or if you don't think that a relationship is likely, why did you think it so important to bring that up?"

I will write more on how the story is unfolding in a few days, but I think this is a good place to leave off for now.

13 Comments:

At 3:59 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopefully "Kate" doesn't read your blog ;-)

 
At 4:01 p.m., Blogger Jake-M said...

It's not likely ;)

 
At 4:24 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why not? Maybe THAT'S why she likes you! Your rampant intellectual superiority, coupled with your distinct ability to display your opposable thumbs should be enough to woo any woman ;-)

 
At 6:40 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:32 p.m., Blogger Michael said...

Hi Steve. (?)

 
At 12:36 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

4th dimension? scrap that I think you've leap-frogged me over to the 6th. I have no idea what the sixth dimension is, but whatever it is, the colours must be really cool. I mean, you've got time and space and who knows what else you'd not be limited to-form and thought maybe? Life itself-nah you've still got that going for ya.

Here's to having girlfriends within the accepted parameters of the 5th dimension!

Matt

 
At 11:39 a.m., Blogger Jake-M said...

So...um...maybe I need to be more carefull about choosing pseudonyms. I guess a girl named Kate read it and was unimpressed. Well Kate, I wasn't aiming any of that story at you, and I'm sorry you were so offended. But you probably need to know that I am not in fact a bastard.

 
At 8:25 p.m., Blogger Erin said...

ROTFL... Oh, this is just so good!

Did you really ask those questions, or did they come to your mind on the way home, causing you to smack your head and say out loud "Man, I should have said THAT!"? LOL! Cause if you really said that... well, that's just classic :)

 
At 1:19 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe the girl wanted to make clear that she wasn't interested because you were showing a lot of interest in her. She very well could have been thinking the whole time that it was just merely a cup of coffee but then suddenly realized "but what if he thinks it may amount to more" so she just put it out there for you to know for sure. As confusing and manipulative us women can be sometimes, I don't think that this sounds like anything more than a girl making sure you didn't grow too fond of her.

 
At 5:12 p.m., Blogger Michael said...

Dammit!!! - I guessed wrong...

 
At 8:59 a.m., Blogger Jake-M said...

Actually Erin, I really did say those things. I tend to think fast, but not always thoroughly. But it came across as I was hoping, as a somewhat humourous interlude.

The conversation had been so smooth up to that point, and I could tell it made her a little uncomfortable to have to bring seriousness into it. So I thought a bit of silliness would balance it out.

 
At 9:00 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jonathan Puddle-despite our differences involving Star Trek films and puns, you remain my hero.

 
At 6:32 p.m., Blogger Sgt Steve said...

WTF!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home