lyef & thymes

Monday, May 16, 2005

Usher in a new week.

I have had the best weekend I can remember having in quite some time. Went to Halifax in order to attend a bass playing seminar from Tony Levin who is easily my favorite bassist in the world. It's a great city to visit, and it just so happens that my good friend Tina lived there for a time, so I invited her to come along. She accepted, and we drove away early friday morning.

The bass workshop was spectacular. I arrived at the ticket office and was told that they were sold out. I asked if they were selling at the door and the lady said that they were, but the line was very long, and it didn't look good. I said "I drove five hours to be here, I'm going to see Tony Levin one way or another, so I guess I'll go line up." She reached into her pocket and handed me a ticket that had just been returned saying "gee whiz, if you came that far you deserve this." And voila, I had a ticket.

Following that incident I walked over to the hall where the event was going to take place and found a very long line indeed. A man was shouting directions to folks and I couldn't hear him, so I left the line and walked up to the front of the line, a bit to the left. At this point the man says "And if you already HAVE a ticket, line up over here, behind THIS guy!" And he pointed to me. So I was suddenly at the front of the line. I sat front, and centre, and absorbed everything the man (tony) had to say. It was unbelievably awesome.

Then Tina and I attended a David Usher concert, with Andy Stochansky opening. It was such a great show, right after such a great workshop. I couldn't believe how great the whole weekend was. Am I making anyone sick yet? I had better stop soon. Or right now.

3 Comments:

At 11:34 p.m., Blogger Michael said...

Dude - when you're a son it all works out... God is totally frikin' awesome.
This story reminds me of an experience I had in Memphis, Tennessee.

It was memorial day weekend and we were on a road trip back from Texas.
We happened to stop in Memphis and BB King just so happened to be playing at his club in Beale Street that night.

It was dinner time when we hit Beale Street and we were directed to the restaurant opposite BB's club as being the best place for BBQ Ribs in town.

We got to the restaurant just as it started to rain (warm rain as it was May but still...) there was a line up of 25 minutes.
We were a group of 6.
Bee asked the doorman if there were any tables at all - the guy says "only for a table of 6"... thank you Dad!

So, just as we started tucking into our ribs BB came on and started playing across the street... one of those unforgettable moments... God is GREAT.

So, did Tony show off his slapin-stick-styleee???

 
At 4:56 p.m., Blogger Lisa said...

David Usher? Like from Moist? I used to think he was a hottie when I was 14. Cool.

Michael and I do want to come and visit.. We're just trying to find a good time =)

 
At 7:51 p.m., Blogger Sgt Steve said...

Sweet Jake! I so love hearing that my friends are so blessed or whatever you call it. Everyones blogs are so happy that I can't help but feel happy. I love it. I'm still missing you bro. Even if I never get to visit you in St Stephen, we will still get to hang out for eternity, right. Yesssss!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home