lyef & thymes

Thursday, April 14, 2005

The Way to A Man's Heart

I have lived in St. Stephen for just under five years. Last Saturday, for the first time, I went to a local "Stever's" house for a meal. My friend Tina and I have been getting to know each other a bit over the last few weeks, since she started coming to my movie watching small group. Well, I walked in to her place on Saturday to find her preparing what she found to be a suitable meal for having male company; Nachos and beer. Three different types of beer, to be exact. You see, this is clearly a woman who understands the way to a man's heart. I was stunned. I stopped for a second and then had to ask "So, what are you doing later? Like, for the rest of your life?"
I couldn't believe it. Only one week earlier it had been dinner at my place, and I made a meal consisting of rice, guava and asparagus, and chicken breast stuffed with salmon, thinking that surely this will be an impressive meal. Then she trumps my meal by serving Nachos and Beer. There is a point to my sharing all of this, but it must be veiled in another quick story.
A few weeks back there was a conference for youth in Atlantic Canada. People danced, waved flags, recieved prayer, were healed emotionally and physically, and it was a great time in my eyes. On the drive home a girl in my car said that she was shocked by the whole thing. I inquired further, and she said that the flag waving, and jumping around was a bit too wild to be proper Christian worship. This got me to thinking. Our most impressive music, and most powerful preaching, and all the smoke and lasers and dimmed lights, and dancing very well, basically all of our most vibrant energetic stuff is no more impressive to God than a few old ladies singing hymns in a tiny stone church in the North of England somewhere. I made a huge deal of making a great looking, sophisticated feast for my friend, believing that it would impress her, and she liked it very much. But she came back with Nachos and Beer and I was floored by how awesome it was. Simple, even rugged you might say, but I loved it. I think that with God our most sophisticated attempts at life and worship, and what have you, are just as childish as a bunch of crazed teens waving flags and stomping around. Metaphorically, a gourmet meal in our eyes is just as awesome and lovely to God as Nachos and a few cold ones. He is the God of the lowly, who humbled himself to redeem us. Funny how I sometimes think i have to look good, or have my life sorted out before I can really draw close to God. Thankfully I am getting a clearer picture of just how universally accepted and loved we all are, that I am.

11 Comments:

At 7:58 p.m., Blogger Sgt Steve said...

dude, I haven't read your post yet, I will after I post this first. I'm to lazt to open my hotmail. I was thinking just today about how we'd get out to see you. my bro in in SOW now and he ain't done till july and then he goes to UK. so he frigged up the plans. maybe aug or something but sooner would be better. I'll work out the details and tell you.

 
At 8:00 p.m., Blogger mark said...

THREE types of beer you say? Wow! May I say two things?

1) Are you sure that it was the simplicity of the nachos and beer that bowled you over, or the person that made them?

2) Your blog never fails to inspire me to write better posts. I never manage it, dammit...

 
At 8:14 p.m., Blogger Michael said...

I reckon that means I can moon-walk in church and God would like it... he seems to tolerate that frilly-ballerina style stuff anyway...

 
At 8:26 p.m., Blogger Sgt Steve said...

So what was her reply to the what are you doing later Q? haha

Jake that is such a good point. In my world, I can only worship in a way that "is me". I don't really get into the dancing around waving flags much, I'd like to though. The best time of worship I ever had was on my dirt bike. I was on my favorite trail by myself just going for it. You know that my life in the area of bikes is totally submitted to God. But I felt the presence of God like never before. And I was riding faster than ever before. I could hear the Father speaking to me as I rode saying wonderful things about me and complimenting my riding. Hey, He gave me the ability to ride so He's getting the glory. I wasn't out there to prove anything, or be faster than another guy, just me enjoying what God created me to enjoy. Lucky!! Lets forget about impressing other people and just be who we really are. Sweet!

 
At 1:07 a.m., Blogger beth said...

Have you ever seen Jeremy watch Evan? He's awestruck, simply because that's HIS kid. Thank goodness we don't have to come to God with a diploma or Nobel prize to qualify us to call him Dad or worship Him right up close. If we're playing Flight of the Bumble Bees with our armpits and have a
pure, right heart-He melts.
I'm also taking note on the nachos thing. See, for those peoplewho don't particularly enjoy OR are incapable (no one's pointing fingers) of upstaging our friends/ boyfriends in..'cooking'...that's music to our ears...I mean THEIR ears...
the hole has been dug.

I'm glad you like the beer.
And you're right in thinking you don't have to impress anyone.
You da bomb, yo.
BUT, just to be annoying you could put out bread and water next time she comes over. She might LOVE that. Heehee.
b:)

 
At 11:54 a.m., Blogger mark said...

So, I see that this is becoming a war of who can publicly humiliate the other in the most spectacular way on the comments on their blog, eh? Wow, that was a crappy sentence. Don't you worry, Mr Murphy, this battle is far from over...

Oh, and Bethany, if you EVER put out bread and water for my tea, there'll be trouble.. Mwahahahaha

 
At 1:16 p.m., Blogger beth said...

Well, Mark, now that I'm officially a vegetarian and LOVING it, you'll have enough 'trouble' on your hands. I can also do a way better evil laugh. Check it out,
Muuuuuaaaaaahahahhaaahaaahhhhhhaaa!

 
At 2:24 p.m., Blogger Jake-M said...

I love you guys.

 
At 11:18 p.m., Blogger dearbethany said...

Oh Bethany, you shall not be VEGGAN for long. I hate that. I am force feeding you a steak, I am.

Mark, if your love for my love is conditional on good food(lets just face it, blackened grilled cheese is no meal a man desires)...i will end your relationship. Yes...that is a threat.

Jake...I love you. But I am not cooking a damn thing for you.

 
At 1:54 p.m., Blogger Linda Hope said...

They say that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach...man, you guys are weird!! I don't think i would ever get it...even so, i am happy to hear the simplest things do please...

i had the best laugh reading all y'all's comments!!! YOU ARE HILARIOUS!!

 
At 1:54 p.m., Blogger Linda Hope said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home