lyef & thymes

Monday, May 02, 2005

Shoot for the lowest common denominator.

It has been suggested that I should write shorter posts, and start new paragraphs more often. Until now it had not occurred to me that I should abandon proper literary etiquette in order to reach my readership, but perhaps I must. While the average blog is a quick peek into someone's day, like a half hour television sitcom, I tend to write about things that I find important, similar to a history channel documentary. I think of something my friend Nicole said: "I think the problem I have with relating to people is that I don't enjoy small talk. I prefer big talk."

C'est la vie, je pense. I suppose that I do need to break up paragraphs more, because I can imagine incredibly busy people taking the time to start reading my posts, getting distracted, and not really knowing where they left off. But shorter posts? That's more difficult for me to agree with. I write in a similar vein to the way I think. First comes the topic, or event, and next come many many thoughts about what I think that might mean, or how my life may be changed by some random thing that has happened to me that day.

Basically, I think that if my posts seem too lengthy for you, you probably aren't going to comprehend what I have to say anyway. I suppose I am still learning how to effectively communicate with the plebian sector. Worse still, I am almost certain that Mark Hardy will be the only one who reads this and knows what plebian means. Okay, and probably Andrew Gazaneo. All the same, if you got this far in the post you are probably smart enough to have realized that the entire thing is rife with facetious jocularity, and hopefully I won't have to apologize to that many of you. And if you didn't read this far, any apology would be redundant, because you wouldn't be reading it, now would you? Hope this made at least one of you laugh. (I'm talking about YOU, tandy.)

5 Comments:

At 12:38 a.m., Blogger beth said...

Plebian? Pft, that's easy...
I'm just going to go and hang out with my...er...not dictionary-thing. It's this great thing that has nothing to do with words or their meanings. Besides, I gave my dictionary to Mark.
B:)
Heehee...I don't mind your long posts...they force me NOT to skim and leave ignorant comments for the sake of leaving a comment.

 
At 10:21 a.m., Blogger Jake-M said...

I love you guys.

 
At 11:49 a.m., Blogger Andrew G said...

It's interesting that you used an alternate (and prob. American) spelling of plebeian.

From the OED:
plebeian, n. and a.
b. In general, A person not of noble or privileged rank, one of the common people, a commoner.

I don't mind your posts; I do agree with your consideration of our eyes by breaking up the paragraphs.
Also (one more piece of food for thought), Sarah Dailey constantly complains that Blogs are a conduit for cheap intimacy. Sometimes it’s easier to dump your feelings and thoughts onto a blog instead of connecting with a living, breathing human being over those feelings. I know I’ve sometimes gone to my blog instead of the community around me.
On the contrary, I feel like some of us are setting up a blog community and learning to encourage and give to each other through the blogs. Hmmmn…
This is turning into a terrible circular argument and I’m the only one writing this comment!!
I’m outta here!

 
At 10:53 a.m., Blogger Linda Hope said...

I am SO not a plebeian!!


(just practicing my vocab, peoples!! :o)

 
At 3:35 a.m., Blogger mark said...

I only just read this dude - I've been kind of busy. You're right though, it did make me laugh...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home