lyef & thymes

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Two and a half men (go see a romantic comedy)

To begin with, my previous post, about how all of my friends are plebian (plebeian for those who spell correctly) was a straight up joke. I was poking a bit of fun at a good friend, and also wondered how all my other good friends would react, and the answer was not surprising. You have responded with style.

I (a single guy) went to the movies with my friend Jeremy, a married guy, and we saw Fever Pitch, a romantic comedy surrounding the Red Sox. Understandably, Jeremy enjoyed the jokes, and the comedy, and I was a little more into the other aspect of the genre. It was a pretty good movie, highly predictable, but in the "oh I hope this happens next" and then it does, sort of way.
What I enjoyed about this movie was that the storyline demands change in the protagonists in order for things to progress. I think of a few other rom/com's that were less enjoyable, like...well I won't list any because then someone who liked that movie will disregard my point.
The regular formula for these is that the people are perfect for each other, and then a misunderstanding causes division, and then they figure it out, and all is well. In this movie the main characters are challenged at a higher level to give of themselves for the other.
If I were planning out life from the beginning, I would include someone in that life who challenges me in a deep way to give more of myself, and who I would in turn challenge in this way. I suspect that this idea was born in God's heart, that when he saw Adam and Eve together (or when he imagines any one of us with a companion) he knows that it will cause us to grow and become more fully ourselves, while encouraging another to do the same. It's a mystery, but I think that's how this goes.

3 Comments:

At 12:03 p.m., Blogger Andrew G said...

brilliant...

I was thinking, as I read your post, that it must have been painful for Adam to receive Eve. I mean, God created her from HIS RIB!! Hello, surgery???!?!

Man, Eve must have been incredibly valuable to Adam because of his investment (a rib) but also because to the day to day realization of the power of that committment.

 
At 12:04 p.m., Blogger Andrew G said...

sorry,

I just read that last comment and thought, "what the hell was I trying to say?!!??!?"

 
At 12:24 a.m., Blogger Erin said...

What a lovely thought- becoming more fully ourselves...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home