lyef & thymes

Friday, June 17, 2005

Travel log, star date 6-17

I have been to England and back, and would like at this time to address my most recent vacation.

I had a really great time in the U.K.. I travelled around England and Wales more than I had expected, and the travel expenses added up, but I'll get through. Along the way there were many fine adventures, and I will pin-point a few of them here.

Early in the trip Mark and I, and a few others, travelled to Cardiff, Wales, to watch a football match. The Sheffield Wednesday were playing in their biggest match in over a decade as they played for a chance to be promoted up to the championship league. If you don't have a good understanding of English football then I would liken it to this: Imagine if a triple-A Baseball team won their league championship, and was then bumped up to the Major leagues.

Three football clubs at the top of their league go up, and the three worst go down. Sheffield had once been a top team, but had been relegated down two leagues in the last few years. This game was a game to decide who would go up, so it was a big deal.
Sheffield won the match in an exciting fashion, taking the lead, losing the lead, trailing, tying it up late, and winning in extra time. Very moving, very dramatic. Many men were weeping with joy.

After Wales, Mark and I went to London where we attended a Patty Griffin concert, then had a day to roam the city. The concert was fabulous, and her voice is incredible. Incredible!!! Then on the day off we went to two free (but very impressive) national art galleries where we saw some Van Gogh, Cezanne, Warhol, Picasso. It was really great. Then we drank Moosehead at a Canadian Pub for $8.00 a bottle.

Spent some quality time in Leeds, re-emersing myself in British culture, checking out some gigs, playing at a gig as the opening act, and attending Mark's church which is on the cusp of doing something really awesome with the people of Leeds. It started a few years ago as a New Frontiers plant with a handful of people meeting in whatever venue they could rent. Now it has just purchased a building and has a few hundred members. It's on the grow, and God is actively present in their meetings. They have a pretty neat prophetic gifting where people get scripture verses, bring them forward and read them, and they have tended to be link in interesting ways.

I also went to Holy Island, which is a small island in the North of England where the Northumbria Community is based. It is a Celtic Christian community for people around the world who abide by a daily Celtic Office (prayer liturgy). Spent two days there with my friend Joel, and a family called the Raine family. Andy, Anna and their kids Joel and Martha. It was my favorite time of the whole trip I would say. We walked the beaches, had cookouts, drank ice cold guinness, played guitar, met some locals and befriended them (easy to do in a small English community).

I finally got home having spent $450 more than planned, but feeling refreshed, and ready to get back to life in Canada. All around it was a beautiful trip, and I feel more hopeful that there is an exciting life ahead of me as a result of my travels.

Blessings, talk to you again soon!

3 Comments:

At 4:23 p.m., Blogger Jake-M said...

Puddle, all I can say is "Prime- Rib". You don't always get what you bargained for, but you still tend to get something pretty great.

 
At 3:34 p.m., Blogger Andrew G said...

"prime-rib"???

ahh, i guess we'll not be seeing you this summer... I'll see if I can find you a wife tho

;-)

 
At 2:11 p.m., Blogger Sgt Steve said...

Ice Cold Guinness, Brilliant!!!

Dude, you travelled quite a distance. Does Mark still have that cool little car? I forget what it was. wow, $8 for a bottle of moosehead, and I thought I got ripped at JJ's for paying $7 for 16oz of Heineken. I did get ripped though. Glad to hear you had a great trip Jake.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home