lyef & thymes

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Thinking Deeply about Deep Thinking.


Imagine that you suddenly went back ten minutes in time. Where would you be?

WRONG! Where ever you thought you would be, you are likely incorrect. Ten minutes ago the specific area that you are currently inhabiting was located in deep space. The Earth is moving incredibly fast, and ten minutes ago, this part of space where Earth currently finds itself passing through was just empty space. Think about it. You, like me, assumed that if you travelled back in time ten minutes, you would go back in SPACE also, to the spot you were located in ten minutes ago. Seems insignificant, but really, it denotes that we think we are the centre of the universe. I assume that if I travelled back in time, all of the created Universe would go back in time. It's interesting to me. I assume that I would remain the same, and the rest of the universe would be altered.

I mean, this is garbage thinking really, because this type of thing is entirely speculative, but it does reveal something of how we view ourselves. In this self absorbed way we feel like we are at the centre of everything, but we are not. The rest of the world stands apart from our unique perspective. I reject the idea that the chair beneath me ceases to exist as soon as I cannot sense it.

But in another way, we are the centre of our own universe. I was driving in my sweet Ford Taurus, and I asked Holy Spirit to be my best friend. Suddenly my mind was alight with incredible thoughts about things I had never thought of before. For example, the previous example about time travel. And I almost shut it down, as though it were frivolous. But then I felt God saying " You love thinking about this type of crazy stuff. Why do you assume that I won't speak with you about these things? I am your friend after all."

It was unbelievable. I began to imagine all sorts of conversations about things I don't necessarily know much about. I imagined how I would respond to someone posing an idea that I disagreed with, or that rubbed me the wrong way. Many people (myself included at times) will interupt people just to let them know "Actually, I disagree" which puts the speaker in the awkward position of either changing their opinion on the spot, or telling the person "Actually I don't much care what you think".

Why can't I just say "Wow, that's interesting. I have never heard anything like that before. Tell me more." And maybe a conversation would begin into which I could eventually insert my thoughts and opinions. If I am friends with someone, I feel I assume teleological suspension of disbelief, at least for long enough to see things through their eyes. If I haven't gone this far, or cannot, I probably shouldn't be so quick to shoot my opinion out there.

I will try this on for size in the next while, and see how it goes. A few months ago I decided to try behaving like a duck, and it was so excellent that I decided to keep that discipline. I will let you know how this turns out.

7 Comments:

At 2:59 p.m., Blogger Jon L said...

That is mind blowing. Almost as mind blowing as "Why would you get take out food from Hooters?"

 
At 9:19 p.m., Blogger rainy dayz can be happy.. said...

Hey Jake.
your insihts are always so insightful*:o)thanx, n

 
At 4:56 p.m., Blogger Sgt Steve said...

whats with you smart peopl espittin yer big werds!?? why do you have to ruin all those great movies with time machines in them? Back to the future, terminator, butterfly effect, princess diaries, time line, black knight!!!! you punk

and ya, worse than movie ruiners are interupterings. BAH!!

 
At 11:43 a.m., Blogger Jake-M said...

Movies with a Time Machine? I'll have you know that Princess Diaries didn't have a time machine, it had TWO!

And don't pretend that you didn't understand what I was talking about. Just because you look like Patrick Swayze doesn't mean that you can be smart STEVE!!!

Norrain, pleased to know that you find the thoughts insightful, and Jon, yeah man, why would people order take out from hooters? Delivery I can understand, but take out?

 
At 12:04 p.m., Blogger Andrew G said...

jon, that was extremely inappropriate

 
At 12:34 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sure was funny though *LOL*

Jake - I find your knowledge of the Princess Diaries disturbing...

 
At 10:10 a.m., Blogger rainy dayz can be happy.. said...

I'm a wee lost with the princess diaries thing, maybe its kinda a boys thing....but it kinda amuses me that you guys have even heard of the 'Princess Diaries'........*:O)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home