lyef & thymes

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Ambition...grrr...


Thoughts on personal ambition and humility. I mean, looking at this picture, I want to be that guy who aspires to climb the mountain, and who goes for it. But how much of that desire is good, and how much is unhealthy? It isn't easy finding balance, I suspect.

Let's hear what Dan Wilt had to say on the matter:

Personal Ambition
From Genesis 11 in The Message.


“Then they said, “Come, let’s build ourselves a city and a tower that reaches Heaven. Let’s make ourselves famous so we won’t be scattered here and there across the Earth.”


Just because a crowd does it, does not make something a worthwhile activity. Even in the modern sphere self-promotion and personal aggrandizement can run rampant. Our goal, in community and as individuals, is to further the fame of God. Sometimes He will elevate us to achieve that purpose, and other times he will humble us and hide us. Either way, keep your eyes, and the eyes of your team, focused on bringing Jesus acclaim in all you do.


A Prayer: Lord, I defer to You becoming greater through my life, and I welcome becoming less that I might elevate You.

3 Comments:

At 11:05 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the meantime I have become a wanton MySpace whore.

Don't kick yourself too much mate - I have found that it can become counter-productive; although if you are walking through the "dying" season then all I can offer are my condolences!

Have you watched the Mraz DVD yet?

 
At 6:21 p.m., Blogger rainy dayz can be happy.. said...

Hey Jake.
I was reading your blog entry in my raher long day at work today...so i kinda had space and time to think. Then tonight when i thought I should write this long spiel about your blog. I just got in my head: "Sonship" and God sees your heart, and irrespecive of motive, (he will obviously convict wrong motives) but Ultimately, you're His Son! (sorry if this is not what i supposed to write). Oh and I got Psalm One too for you. Blessings,your sis accross the water:O)n

 
At 10:22 p.m., Blogger Jon L said...

You the man Jake. I would say that you are one of the most ambitious people I know. You may not be thinking it, but look what you have done in the past 6 months. You left everything behind, and started over. That is pretty ambitious to me. Also you are writing some killer songs that will make you millions!!!! Man, although you may not seem as ambitious compared to other peoples definitions, just remember that Jesus defines all and as long as you seek him, you are showing all the ambition that anyone needs to...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home