lyef & thymes

Monday, December 12, 2005

More on Music (not Moron Music)

So, to carry on a little from where I left off, and to address Matt's comment, I think that the untrained ear allows anything in, and has a greater capacity to enjoy more music.

Matt's comment made my point for me. Dude, you automatically brought it into classical music, which is a good place for this conversation to go.

Someone who is classically trained is not going to be able to sit idly by while someone beats the crap out of their guitar while it is badly out of tune. Instead, they will reach out and grab the tuner, and try to tune it up for the hapless player. Meanwhile, someone who doesn't know the difference between in and out of tune will smile appreciatively during, and cheer at the end of, the song.

The same principle works the other way. Play Madeski, Martin and Wood, or King Crimson, or Dream Theatre or something like that, for a person who listens to music with an untrained ear, and they will not likely take to it immediately. The trained ear is able to see the complexities of the music, and overlook the fact that in the end the music is not all that listenable.

Basically, if the music needs to be explained, it is too complex for the untrained ear. Or, if the listener is unable to explain the music, they are untrained, and the trained ear may not appreciate the music.

I think that is why POP music exists. People can enjoy pop with little to no effort. That is comforting at times when I want my music to be light and fluffy.

So that is my take on music. I believe that it is enjoyed as much, or more, by people who don't understand it, as it is by those who do. The music speaks to the soul, not the mind. And the fact that I now appreciate softer, more melodic music seems to suggest to me that I have a softer gentler soul?!? I suppose it does.
Rock on.

4 Comments:

At 11:51 p.m., Blogger Brendan Daniel Serez said...

your soul? hmm? well, from what i have seen from you, your actions, character, and personality show to me that you have a soft and gentle soul.

I agree with your music theory. I know that i do not have the ear to determine whether or not there is a note that is off or a bar that is rushed or slowed down.

When i linsten to music i try not to focus on whether or not the piece is played correctly. I focus on the words. The words of the song. that is what is feeding my soul. not the style.

Bren
Ciao

 
At 12:41 p.m., Blogger Jake-M said...

cool man, nice perspective.

 
At 3:25 p.m., Blogger Sgt Steve said...

I like music. And I am quite picky. But I do love listening to a guy trashing his guitar, as long as its actually good. If I heard that the lead guitar was out of tune in the middle of a rock concert, does that mean I have a trained ear? I think I do. But not nearly as well trained as yours. Which is probably why I like more of a variety then you, that does make sense. I think I like anything with real talent and passion to be honest. There IS talent in some metal, I think. meh

 
At 3:53 p.m., Blogger beth said...

Same here, Brendan. When I buy a cd or listen to a friend's I go straight to the lyrics. I don't know why. The music is moving, but when meaningful/poetic/thought provoking/ creative words accompany that music it is MOST moving...for me.
I like the story-telling you mentioned too. I think you have a knack at that as well, Jake.

And thank God for EMO!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home