lyef & thymes

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Flirting with Emptiness



Hello friends and loved ones. My good friend Andrew pointed me back to a post I wrote a few months ago on community. I am glad that he did.

As I was reading it over I realized that in the craziness of moving my life back (or forward rather) to Toronto I had left a place where I was very comfortable, and had worked my way into a place of real community with the folks around me in St. Stephen.

In Toronto things are very different, which is to say that the mode of life for most people is very different. I looked at all the different views people held there, and I set out to do my darndest to change it. If you look at the four stages of community, this most closely resembles the second stage, known as chaotic community.

In my former environs I had done away with most ideas I had of “fixing” everyone, and was able to accept them and myself. In Toronto I have had a hard time accepting the way others see things, and this has deeply affected the way I see myself.

So for the last little while I have been flirting with “emptiness” as it were. Remember, emptiness is a necessary stepping stone into real community. And that is a good thing.

For all of my friends in Toronto who are reading this, be patient with me. I am growing again, and while there are some growing pains involved, there are also many blessings that I can see quite clearly. I am surrounded by people who genuinely care about my well being. I am in a stage of life where the roof has been lifted off the greenhouse, and I am able to reach for yet a higher place than I have yet known. I think this is the “mountaintop to mountaintop” life I have prayed for many times.

And for my dear friends who are not in Toronto, I have not forgotten the many lessons you have taught me about living together in community. Even as I type, beer placed neatly beside the laptop, and there is a smile on my face, because God is good.

9 Comments:

At 6:47 p.m., Blogger Michael said...

Careful you don't spill it... the beer that is... ;)

BTW - did you bring that Double Bass back with you from St Stephen? - I might, stress might, have a gig coming up...

 
At 7:04 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's change mate. Plus, it's normally time for God to point some things out in your life he wants to pinpoint.

Enjoy ;-)

 
At 9:46 a.m., Blogger beth said...

we love ya, jakers. your thoughts on being vs. doing are insightful and have got me thinkin'. You're sure to flourish like that tree in Psalm 1...

hey, let's hit some greasy-spoon place soon...i'm
craving...greasey...ness...that sounded weird.
b

 
At 9:55 a.m., Blogger Andrew G said...

whoah... keep it PG Bethany...

anyway, I meant it when I said that your post really speaks volumes to me. I'm glad that you're walking it out buddy... and i'm glad that you're here... and I'm glad that I have the opportunity to join with you on your journey up to this mountaintop buddy.

 
At 9:56 a.m., Blogger Andrew G said...

and i know the best greasy-spoon diner in the city... anytime you guys want to check it out (Onion rings the size of your head!!)

 
At 6:54 p.m., Blogger R.O. Flyer said...

Glad to hear your thoughts from Toronto.
I'm going to post a link to your blog from mine. www.rainandtherhinoceros.blogspot.com

 
At 8:57 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Craig... Craig... take this number, call my mom and Canada, and tell her I'm at a clinic in Mozambique....
Good Times

Booya Grandma

 
At 12:12 a.m., Blogger Jake-M said...

Ry, glad to hear it dude. I think I may do the same thing. I have been reluctant to start linking to people, because I know I will leave people out unintentionally. Oh well, time to start.

Craig, I don't think you want to get started with the stupid Africa quotes. Let me just say "elephants are so graceful."
"Giraffes Craig, those are Giraffes."

Thanks for stopping by the blog man, how the heck are you?

 
At 6:16 p.m., Blogger Jake-M said...

Bethany, you got it girly. Greasy-spoon goodness is coming our way soon. I recommend the Canary Restaurant. It was featured in a Mathew Perry movie as a place to commit suicide by eating the tuna melts.

I think we can take it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home