lyef & thymes

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Beautiful Sun

Last night I had a lovely chat with my good friend and fellow Reluvnotionary, Micheal Sumner. We talked about how we both had enough time on our hands these days to become very stressed. Sounds funny doesn't it? But seriously, when you have a lot of free time, and no activities that define your purpose, you have to trust that you are valued and loved based on who you are, not what you do.

As I drove home after our conversation (it was an hour's drive) I began to inquire of God what exactly this season in my life was all about. The reply was very interesting. I sat in the driver's seat of my car and was flooded with the notion that this phase was God's idea, and that it is the best thing for me right now. He seemed to be promising me that in the end I will have engendered a much better sense of my Sonship. In other words, I will find my identity in being God's son, not in the things that I do with my time.

I had my iPod playing and at this point a Delirious? song came on, and the lyrics were "You are the Sun, Beautiful Sun." But of course I heard "You are the Son, Beautiful Son". It was particularly poignant for that instant in time. My eyes maybe even got a little moist.

I think God is very very smart, and knows what is best for me. If I find my identity, if I assign value to my life based on my successes and failures, then I have a very small spectrum for viewing myself. But if I can understand that my existence is justified by the fact that God says I am his son, then the sky is the limit.

6 Comments:

At 4:15 p.m., Blogger Sgt Steve said...

Well said Jake, I couldn't have said it better myself, really I couldn't.
yo theres lot a love for you from me Jake. Where ya to anyway's, frig by we need to chat.

 
At 12:15 p.m., Blogger Jake-M said...

Steve, I love when you try to talk like a Newfie.

 
At 2:13 p.m., Blogger Erin said...

Sounds like the perfect platform to build a life on.

Enjoy looking for the edges of sonship, the edges of beauty...

 
At 5:47 p.m., Blogger beth said...

Jake, I'm so proud of you man... this season is so important and wll be fulfilling no doubt. Write that sermon!!!

b dawg

 
At 11:41 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

not even the sky buddy-no limits.

Matthew

 
At 1:13 a.m., Blogger Michael said...

RE-LUV RE-LUV RE-LUV!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home