lyef & thymes

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

In the loop?!?

I was discussing Reincarnation with a friend. Don't ask. And we got onto an interesting point. I have heard it said that there are more human beings alive today than have every lived before. I don't know for sure that this is so, but mathematically, if everyone born had two children, and that is how the world was populated, then the 7 billion people alive today equal more than the sum total of all people every before. This arguement doesn't work, for a number of reasons, not least among them the fact that this would mean that there had only been 32 generations of people.

But aside from that, I was making the arguement that if there were more people alive today than had ever lived before, then there wouldn't be enough previous lives to make up for today's people. I meant this as an arguement debunking the idea of Karma and Reincarnation, but he saw right through it. "No No No, that's not what it means at all. What it really means is that we're doing quite well." He said that even if this mathematical fact were true, it could be used as a defense of re-incarnation, proving that more and more lives were coming back as humans. I had no response.

Maybe you do? Help me out on this one, will ya?

9 Comments:

At 6:25 p.m., Blogger Heidi Renee said...

I think that it has to do with the theory that all 'reincarnates' (is that a word?) don't always come back as people - so during the 'low population' years it meant that many were animals, bugs, algae, etc. if they did 'good' they earned up.

so that's why he feels that the population boom shows that the reincarnated lives have been earning their way to human status instead of reincarnating as cows or lightening bugs... illogical to those of us who don't hold to this faith practice, but to those who do it makes sense.

this is just my own sense of it - i am not a trained hindu or buddist - but think it's the gist of what his theory was. hope that helps.

 
At 8:41 a.m., Blogger rainy dayz can be happy.. said...

Hmm..Re-incarnation....I've always wanted to come back as a cloud. I like the idea that clouds can have lots of views on life....they can be pure, simple, care free in their white fluffy state. They can be dark and mysterious in their stormy moments...or they can be the most vibrant orange, in their sunset/sunrise state. Often i have wanted to be a cloud because they are weightless yet they have such a resevoir of different moods, expressions that can often draw me to a peace which ultimately leads me to the Father...ooops...norrain goes off on her imaginative tangent.....:O)
Seriously your friend Heidi seems to have a good understanding on re-incarnation. All the bestest in your quest regarding this topic jacob...

 
At 12:22 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

doing well?

is this friend pro-American?

ok off-handed question.

What I mean to say is that if an eagle gets rewarded and becomes a human, then gee-some reward. How many of us live in poverty? And by poverty I mean absolute poverty? How many of us don't care about those who live in poverty? How many of us face the possibility of dying within the next year from diseases or wars or famines or drugs or stress or heartache or or or or...

I guess it's a bit of a roundabout answer, but the point is that numbers don't lie, the dire state of humanity doesn't lie: eagles clearly have the upper hand here.

 
At 3:17 p.m., Blogger Michael said...

It's all a bunch of bollocks if you ask me.

 
At 12:48 a.m., Blogger Joyce said...

well...I merely stopped by to say hello and "check out my blog"...and instead I found myself stuck in the mind of Jacob Murphy...If you are reading this..HELP ME!!! :)
so...Hi Jacob...come check out my blog. :)

 
At 1:22 a.m., Blogger Sarah Gaz said...

I'm not good at math...

maybe some one should reincarnate as a magician that can do magic-math and wipe out all math from the face of the earth because math sucks and it makes people who suck at math feel like they suck and math does not help anyone ever and that is why I will forever hate math so there...........

 
At 3:38 p.m., Blogger Brendan Daniel Serez said...

I wonder what kind of karma you would have to have to reincarnated as a magician?

So, sarah. You hate math, but you want it, in order to erase it?

 
At 3:39 p.m., Blogger Jake-M said...

Um...math helps people every day, Sarah, like way more than magic ever did ;0) I mean, what would life be like without avogadro's constant, for example. In fact I think my next post will be about some of math's most important theora.

 
At 1:26 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

the plural form of the "-em" suffix is "-a"? I guess I can't think of anything else it could be...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home