lyef & thymes

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Lies! All LIES!!!!

So.... I told a lie at work the other day, and the strangest thing happened. I felt so convicted of the sin of lying that I went back and told the truth, to my own detriment. The story is that I was late, and lied about bad traffic on the road. No biggy, but then I was compelled to go back and tell my co-worker "deb, truth is I over-slept. It had nothing to do with the traffic. I don't know why I said that."

My first thought about this interchange is not all that deep, namely, that lies are bad.
What's more, there aren't actually different degrees of lies, but God sees our sin and can convict any of us, any of the time, about anything, we do, and be right in doing so.

Things is, it's sin, and only sin that keeps us from the Father. Think there's something more to it, feel free to disagree. I think that scripture leads us to believe that we have fallen short of the Glory of God, which means that our purpose and direction before falling short, was the Glory of God. If that is truly where we were heading before falling short, then believe me, it is still our
destination. It was sin that stopped us getting there, but not forever.

So I'm at work, I've lied, and the Lord convicts me of the act, enabling me to see the sin and deal with it, which is to say, to turn from it and walk the other way. In the end I am left with less sin holding me back from God, and further, from His Glory.

But surely we needn't be concerned with our sin, since we now know Jesus, and walk in faith right? Jesus died on the cross, and defeated sin, freeing us from it's sting. Confusing, but then we are told to daily pick up our cross and follow Christ, and what was the cross if not the ultimate price of sin. So we take up our cross which is our reminder of the ultimate price of sin. We don't need to nail ourselves to it, just carry it. It doesn't kill us, but it does make us aware of the price that was paid for us.

I think, then, that the conviction that comes from Christ leads us, not to shame, or death, but to Glory.

Thoughts?

4 Comments:

At 5:49 p.m., Blogger Sarah-Aubrey said...

Love it, Jacob.

 
At 12:54 p.m., Blogger snoopy said...

ah i have such a bad habit with lying!! its awful.

 
At 3:09 p.m., Blogger Unknown said...

I have felt that too. Intriguing...

 
At 12:19 p.m., Blogger Andrew G said...

frig Jake, well done

 

Post a Comment

<< Home